A number of organizations will launch safety awareness campaigns next month. The Construction Industry Safety Initiative (CISI) and the Incident and Injury Free CEO Forum (IIF) will sponsor Construction Safety Week May 7-11.
That’s the same week that the Occupational Safety and Health Administration will hold its National Safety Stand-Down to Prevent Falls in Construction awareness campaign.
Falls are among the most common hazards for construction workers, and the leading cause of workplace deaths in the industry. Nationally, the Bureau of Labor Statistics found that in 2016, 24,700 construction workers reported a nonfatal fall, and 388 deaths were reported due to a fall. That’s nearly half of the fall deaths reported for all industries.
In Colorado, where falls led to just eight workplace deaths, six of those were among construction workers, BLS found.
Check out these events and resources to learn more about workplace safety, or to hold your own Safety Week event. We’ll update this list as we find more resources that could be useful to construction firms.
What are you doing to prevent falls and create a culture of safety on your jobsites? Leave a comment below or email [email protected].
- constructionsafetyweek.com, CISI and IIF
- stopconstructionfalls.com, created by CPWR for its Campaign to Prevent Falls in Construction
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s “Preventing Falls” homepage
Educational Materials and Discussion Topics
- OSHA best practices for conducting “walk-around” safety inspections
- Event guide created by CISI and IIF
- CISI/IIF’s toolbox talks to lead safety discussions with crews
- CPWR’s toolbox talks, videos and handouts (available in English and Spanish)
- The Center for Construction Research and Training’s 2017 annual report on safety and health
- National Safety Stand-Down promotional posters in English and Spanish
- Infographics by NIOSH in English and Spanish to use in safety presentations or to share online and in social media
Apps and Software
Events and Webinars
- “Three Core Elements of Effective Safety and Health Programs,” Department of Labor, April 25, 12:00 MT
- NEW: “New Training Program: Construction Noise & Hearing Loss Prevention,” CPWR, April 26, 12:00 MT
- “The Power of Safe Choices: Building a Safety Culture,” Procore and Safety Week, May 3, 12:00 MT
- “Getting Ready for the 2018 Safety Stand Down,” CPWR, March 21 (recording)