Today, more than at any time in the history of our construction industry, we are experiencing more women working in every vocational segment.
For years, we have had excellent female participation in real estate sales, finance, marketing, mortgage banking, architecture, landscape architecture, manufacturer and vendor sales, and interior design, to highlight just a few of the areas with the greatest concentration of success.
Gender barriers have eroded, especially, in a labor-deficit business marketplace nationwide. Skilled labor jobs are being filled by competent females like in WWII. Now, women are entering the construction industry and finding new opportunities for employment and growth.
The following extraordinary construction industry-related women reveal some of their steps to success:
- Love what you do through the joy and happiness in helping people.
- Respect everyone.
- Persevere to overcome every challenge.
- Surrounding myself with excellent employees and company representatives.
- Learn by asking questions while maintaining a sense of humor.
- Mitigating conflict with a positive commonsense approach.
- Knowledge of the industry.
- A pioneer for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI).
- Approaching, developing, and creating business relationships in a humanizing way with everyone.
- Maintaining strict self-accountability.
- Learning to live life as a role model for everyone to emulate.
- Dedication, persistence, and communication to and for each customer.
- Try to be a good listener whilst maintaining a sense of mindfulness and compassion for others.
- Nurture my desire to learn and be autodidactic.
- Maintain and grow connections.
- Passion for all that leads to healthier living outcomes globally.
- Forty years of experience working domestically and internationally.
- Putting education at the forefront for everyone’s personal growth and sharing new building science techniques and resources that can lead to affordable housing for the globe.
- Never stop growing—network, read, and be curious!
- Pay it forward with introductions, connections, and advice.
- Be resilient and embrace the pivot.
Yana Nirshberg’s reflection on a Dr. Seuss quote from the book “Oh, The Places You’ll Go” is a perfect example of guiding principles: “So, be sure when you step, step with care and great tact. And remember that life’s A Great Balancing Act. And will you succeed? Yes! You will, indeed (98 and ¾ percent guaranteed)! Kid, you’ll move mountains.”
S. Robert August is the President of North Star Synergies, a nationally and globally accomplished and award-winning real estate development marketing, management and sales concern headquartered in Denver. Robert also serves as the Senior Vice President of Business Development for Green Homes Builders of Australia, New Zealand and the U.S., as well as a member of the Board of Directors of Environmental Service Professionals and RSG3D. He can be contacted by cell phone at 303.601.5840 and office phone at 303.500.3400,
[email protected], and NorthStarSynergies.com.