Top 5 landscape trends homeowners love
The National Association of Landscape Professionals polled members to find out which landscape trends would dominate this year.
“Foundational landscape elements remain on homeowners’ wish lists, but modern updates and technology are now a top priority,” Britt Wood, CEO, National Association of Landscape Professionals, said in a statement. “With a wave of design and technical innovations, our members report that ornate hardscaping, contemporary features, lush gardens and smart irrigation are all trending and will influence landscape designs across the country in 2020.”
- Geometric designs. NALP members noted a rise in requests for designs with geometric patterns like chevrons and basket weave.
- Contemporary and transitional styles. Across all generations, homeowners want simple, elegant designs with a modern edge, NALP found.
- Blue. Landscape professionals anticipate more blue in their designs, and are incorporating the color in plants, sculptures and water features.
- Emphasis on personal style. Homeowners are increasingly aware of the myriad options they have for growing a garden, according to NALP, whether it’s an herb planter garden or a living wall. Spaces that leave room for them to show off their own taste may be highly valued by homebuyers.
- Smart irrigation. You can’t escape technology by going outside. Even in the backyard, homeowners want the ease that comes with smart home tech. Modern irrigation systems offer many of the same features of indoor smart home systems.